Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve in the market

It was busy today with people doing their last-minute shopping before the 3-day New Year's celebrations. Locals and tourists flock to this part of town to buy the freshest ingredients so I decided to join in on the action!

Several stands sell the same items so how does this foreigner know which one is the best? I have a little system... go with the one that has the longest line! Yep, yep. :) This kamaboko (fish cakes) stand fit the criteria so I waited for my turn and sure enough, it was delicious.

Next up was the cakes stand. So many to choose from...no wonder people are super serious trying to pick their favorites!
One by one, I enjoyed browsing through the food and took snaps of some of the popular delights. Japanese yams, the yummy cakes, mozuku (green seaplant) and soba (long noodles symbolize long life).

Delicious treats are brown sugar, sata andagi (Okinawan donuts), the must-have mochi (rice cake), and muchi (Okinawan mochi) wrapped in banana (?) leaves. My favorite is the sata andagi donut!
After my shopping, I was getting hungry and stumbled upon an awesome place to eat. From 3pm on New Year's Eve the local shop owners set up some tables and serve homemade soba noodles. It was oishii (delicious)!!


Did I mention it cost only 100 yen (less than a US dollar)? For those of you who are in the area next year, it's right along Heiwadori towards the back. Just be sure to get there before the soba runs out...which is fast! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment